Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 23:41:48 +0100
From:      Gerald Heinig <Gerald.Heinig@post.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        Richard Hodges <rh@matriplex.com>
Cc:        freebsd-atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATM switch woes

Richard Hodges wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Gerald Heinig wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've got a major problem with my ATM switch: it's a Synoptics/Bay Networks
> > LattisCell 10114 and I've flashed the flash ROM with the wrong data.
> > It will now no longer download any firmware and is basically useless :-(
>
> > I've got a similar switch (10114R-E3) from Nortel Networks Germany on
> > loan and I wanted to read its flash ROM and write the contents into
> > mine, since that's the only non-volatile part to have changed.
> > However, I can't easily remove the ROM without damaging the switch
> > (which isn't mine).
>
> I am assuming Flash memory here...  Is the Flash chip a DIP?  If so,
> you should be able to get a special ribbon cable to connect it to
> your device programmer.  With the unit powered off, you should be able
> to reprogram the Flash with a new image.

I'm assuming DIP means a row of pins on either side (sorry, I've been out of the hardware arena for quite some time now). The chip in my switch is of this type and I've even got a friend to put in a
socket for me, so programming it is simply a matter of taking it out and putting it in the flash programmer.
My problem is reading in the data from the flash memory in the switch on loan: the device has pins on all four sides and it's in a square package. It's a helluva fiddle to get it off the board and I
honestly don't think I could solder it on again.
How would I read the data out of it? The pins of this thing are *very* close together and can I read the data out with the switch powered off?

I'm sort of quietly hoping that someone, somewhere knows somebody at Nortel/Bay Networks who knows what goes into these flash memories ie. has an old file floating around somewhere.

I find it very hard to believe that you can actually *destroy* (well, render totally inoperable) a piece of hardware costing US$ 60000 when new, simply by typing 'y' to an option at the wrong time :-(
I've found out the password to the diagnostic area, but I haven't been able to reset anything to get the switch to work properly again.

[...]
> I have never programmed devices over an extended ribbon cable, but
> I don't think that would be a problem.  Flash memories program
> themselves and you just keep polling them until each byte is done.
>
> Hope this helps!

Well, the problem is reading the flash memory, not writing it, unfortunately.
Thanks very much for your help, though. Any other ideas, please fire away! The alternative is the scrapheap, as things stand.

Cheers,

Gerald