Date:      Fri, 01 Jun 2001 15:39:32 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br>
Cc:        Noses <noses@noses.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Real "technical comparison"

Rik van Riel wrote:
> > Thank you for not telling it to one of my servers which is running
> > around with about 100000 concurrent connections biting its tail. I
> > wouldn't like to hurt its feelings. And I've got the feeling that it
> > will have to bear a bit more of that beating.
>
> Interesting, what's that thing doing ?
>
> Mmm, now that I think of it, at least one company wants to
> run a stateful firewall & VPN endpoint with well over 128.000
> connections too (and on Linux 2.4, even ... this would be an
> interesting thing to test).

Unfortunately, my test code is proprietary, as it relies on
some deep (and hard won) knowledge of the BSD stack.

It's pretty trivial to build code that can run on 25
client machines tuned to 10,000 fd's each, and a server
that just forks and accepts connections will leave you
some idea of how much remaining capability there is on
your target server, after tuning, to do actual work.

-- Terry