Date:      Fri, 17 May 1996 13:10:00 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        mark@linus.demon.co.uk (Mark Valentine)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, mark@cova-tech.com
Subject:   Re: can't mount "gold" CDs written by Yamaha recorder

Mark Valentine stands accused of saying:

> Anyone able to read gold CDs written by the Yamaha recorder under any
> version of FreeBSD?  I'm not sure if it may just be CDs written by the
> particular software I'm using ("KPAR CDcreation" under SunOS 5.5) - it's
> all I have available to try.  (I get the same problem with the software
> vendor's distribution CD, but I think that was written with their own
> software on another Yamaha recorder.)

I think it's the software - at least I _seem_ to recall someone saying
they'd made a burn using that unit.  Then again I could be confusing those
that were successful with those that have been asking.

> I can read these CDs on all my SunOS 5.5 systems (Toshiba and Plextor
> drives), and from DOS and Windoze 95 (random IDE drives), but under
> FreeBSD I get either an EINVAL on the mount (my -current box with a
> Toshiba SCSI drive, which can also read the CD under DOS, though it
> flashes its LED as if it were playing back an audio CD), or a
> successful mount followed by a system hang trying to do anything
> else, like an unmount - actually, some interrupts are still being
> processed (FreeBSD 2.1, both with random SCSI drive or with the
> same Plextor which read the CD fine under SunOS 5.5).

Yecch.  Sounds like they skimped on the format.

> By the way, are all the 00_TRANS.TBL files on the FreeBSD CDs just a
> convenience for systems which can't read RR?  My software didn't put
> them on my CD, and doesn't seem have an option to do so (I presume they're
> generated separately).

IIRC, these files contain the short-long filename mapping info.  The
fact that they're not there would tend to indicate that the software
you're using is seriously busted.

> Any evidence for punting my recorder software/hardware back to the vendor
> and buying an HP4020i like I wanted in the first place will be gratefully
> received too!

Well, try doing some serious thrashing on the Sun while you're cutting the CD
and see if the buffer in the Yamaha runs out; I seem to remember it's only
about 500K...