Date:      Thu, 07 Oct 1999 18:38:24 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: modules: how to use?

The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Figuring one of the things a friend of mine raves about Linux for is their
> kld's, I'd start playing with ours...
>
> Looking in /modules, I saw 'procfs', so, cool, a place to start...remove
> "options PROCFS" from kernel config, rebuild, install and reboot ...
>
> crashes...
>
> so, I figure that I somehow have to tell the kernel to load that module?

fs modules are automagically loaded. Alas, that's the general
direction for a lot of modules. The network ones, for instance. No
more need to put in the device lines in the kernel configuration
file, it will be automagically loaded by ifconfig. I don't know if
this is working already or not, though.

Now, how to tell the kernel to load modules. Well, some stuff you
can set with rc.conf(5). Other stuff you may load explicitly through
kldload. And, finally, you don't need to have the _kernel_ load it.
You may edit loader.conf(5) to have it loaded at the same time the
kernel is loaded by, well, the loader(8). :-) (the bootstrap loader)

> checked the kld man page, and nothing in there appears to be
> appropriate...and just looked at my /usr/src/etc/rc* files to see if maybe
> it was something I was supposed to configure in there, but nothing appears
> to be in tehre either...
>
> Help?

Wild shot: are your kernel & world in sync? For isntance, you made a
new kernel when you edited your kernel configuration file to remove
the option line, right? If you just happened to have newer sources,
the new kernel might have become incompatible with the older
modules, which are not made automatically (except during world). cd
/sys/modules; make all install.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"I always feel generous when I'm in the inner circle of a
conspiracy to subvert the world order and, with a small group of
allies, just defeated an alien invasion. Maybe I should value myself
a little more?"