Date:      Mon, 27 Dec 2004 05:13:29 -0600
From:      Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org>
To:        Jorn Argelo <jorn@wcborstel.nl>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A few questions regarding sound drivers

Jorn Argelo wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I've installed FreeBSD 5.3 AMD64 a few days ago. However, I am having sound
>problems. I have an Ensoniq 5880 as specified by lspci and dmesg:
>
>00:0d.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI (rev 02)
>
>pci0: <multimedia, audio> at device 13.0 (no driver attached)
>
>For example, when I try to load a random kernel module for sound, it says no
>such file or directory. So when I take a peek in /boot/kernel, it indeed shows
>up no sound modules. My FreeBSD server (which hasn't even have sound support
>compiled in the kernel) does have them though. Can I use those? I've compiled
>the kernel with COMPAT_IA32, COMPAT_43 and COMPAT_LINUX32.
>
>Also, I am not certain which driver I should have, though. It does not appear
>to be in the hardware notes of the AMD64 port as well, so does FreeBSD even
>support  it then?
>
>Thanks alot,
>
>Jorn

I don't know about the first part (maybe rebuild/install the kernel so
it will re/install the kernel modules?) but for the 2nd part put
snd_driver_load="YES" into your loader.conf file and reboot, this will
load all sound modules then you can do "dmesg | grep pcm" to find out if
your card worked (not a definitive test) and if it did a good hint at
what driver(s) to use.