Date:      Mon, 19 Dec 2016 16:04:11 -0800
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@mail.turbofuzz.com>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RFC: DTrace probes for debugging or testing in userland programs

> On Dec 19, 2016, at 12:27 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd@gmail.com> =
wrote:
>=20
> So although I like the sentiment, I don't think using dtrace for
> program logging is the right answer.  I like what apple did to wrap
> the program logging stuff so people didn't just write their own
> libraries (hi!) and so there's a unified-ish way to interact with
> apple programs. I think we could do with that.

Thanks!

We did a number of other things with ASL (Apple System Logger) which I =
miss very much today and would hope to see in any FreeBSD equivalent:

1. We structured all log data into dictionaries, so every application =
and/or subsystem within that application can add its own =E2=80=9Ctags=E2=80=
=9D without squashing other key information.  This also unified the =
character encoding format, so some applications were no longer logging =
in ISO-Latin1, others in UTF-8 and yet others in SHIFT-JIS.

2.  There=E2=80=99s also a logging database, as one of the many possible =
=E2=80=9Coutput sinks=E2=80=9D, so searches / queries are fast (and =
there=E2=80=99s an API for querying and managing its contents).

3. We added client-side and server side logging filters, so you can =
=E2=80=9Ccrank an application up=E2=80=9D or shut its mouth without =
having to make any code changes.

4. It=E2=80=99s all thread-safe.

- Jordan