Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2000 16:00:43 -0000
From:      "Martin Thacker" <mthacker@libraries.manchester.gov.uk>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Freebsd: signal 11

I am attempting to install FreeBsd on a Packard/Bell 486Dx66. The machine
reads the boot floppies and runs the installation program. It finds the
Matsushita/Panasonic CDROM drive OK (at port address 340 rather than the one
listed)- although I notice that it says it is at 340-343 whereas Windows
says it is at 340-347.

However, installation proceeds OK, directories are created on the hard disk,
but as soon as the program comes to sniff at the CDROM it bombs out with the
message "Signal 11 caught- saving what I can and exiting"

I would have assumed that this problem was connected with the CDROM drive,
but on attempting to install from floppies the same thing happened- after
one sniff at the floppy.

I don't seem to see anything about Signal 11 in the documentation. Could you
give any clues?

Thanks very much

Martin Thacker