Date:      Wed, 6 Aug 1997 20:22:04 +1000 (EST)
From:      Paul Sondhu <paul@comcirc.com.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with root filesystem becoming full

Today our main internet server has started having problems regarding disk
space.

One of our dialup customers gave me a call saying that he couldnt
download his mail through Eudora. I took a log at the logs and it
included errors saying that there wasnt enough temporary space to create
.pop.username files or something along those lines.

I did a 'df -k' and it showed that the / filesystem was full. I decided
to reboot the server and after it had booted up, a df showed that about
25MB was free. What happened then was very unusual. I did a df every few
seconds and slowly the hard disk space in / got less and less until it
filled up again. A few minutes later everything returned to normal and I
had about 20MB free again.

Can anyone explain to me why this may be occuring. The only thing that I
can think of is that there was a heap of email or something queued up
waiting to get to the server from our ISP.

The /var/log/messages log showed:

Aug  6 14:22:24 riker /kernel: uid 0 on /: file system full

Is it possible to move the /var/mail directory onto a different partition
and then create a symbolic link to this new directory without incurring
any problems? This would greatly improve our disk space problem. We have
plenty of room left on another partition:

Filesystem  512-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/sd0a       237918   185012    33872    85%    /
/dev/sd0s1e    1985502  1664954   161706    91%    /usr
/dev/sd0s1f    5655650  3506028  1697170    67%    /www
procfs               8        8        0   100%    /proc

Any help would be much appreciated.

Paul.

Paul Sondhu                     Email: paul@comcirc.com.au
Computer Circuit Pty. Ltd.      Tel: +61 03 53826959
27 Darlot St.                   Fax: +61 03 53826301
Horsham 3400                    WWW: http://www.comcirc.com.au/staff/paul
Victoria Australia