Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 1996 22:11:54 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Tom Greenwalt <tomg@fourthgen.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Yet another PPP question

> When users dialin and connect using the Windows 95 PPP client I see the
> following messages:
>
> Jan 16 20:38:22 fourthgen pppd[2916]: pppd 2.1.2 started by tomg, uid 1000
> Jan 16 20:38:22 fourthgen pppd[2916]: Connect: ppp1 <--> /dev/ttyd3
> Jan 16 20:38:25 fourthgen pppd[2916]: input: Unknown protocol (802b) received!
> Jan 16 20:38:25 fourthgen pppd[2916]: input: Unknown protocol (803f) received!

Thank M$ for this.  Basically, Microsoft asked for some extensions to
the PPP protocol which were denied by the IETF for valid reasons.  (The
extensions didn't belong at that lawyer and should have been part of a
separate protocol).  Rather than being a good net-citizen, they ignored
the results and implemented them anyway.

So, M$ TCP/IP stacks are trying to negotiate non-existant features using
an invalid protocol which only works with their own product.

The solution?  Yell and scream to M$ and tell them to use standard
protocol and quit using useless proprietary extensions.  If they want to
use proprietary extensions, have them put inside other proprietary code.

Nate