Date:      Wed, 7 Apr 2004 07:39:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bjorn <bjorn@sccs.swarthmore.edu>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   kern/65292: panic: page fault

>Number:         65292
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       panic: page fault
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Environment:
FreeBSD twiggy 4.9-STABLE FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE #4: Fri Apr  2 19:46:37 EST 2004     root@twiggy:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/TWIGGY  i386

Sometimes I notice my mouse gets sluggish and jerky. This is atypical even on a loaded freeBSD dydtem, so I usually notice right away. when that happens, I notice my drive light is on so it must be working on seomthing furiously, but I see nothing too wierd in top/iostat/fuser (though I'm not expert with i/o stat or fuser). A few minutes later my system reboots itself. this is all I get:

fault virtual address   = 0x4
fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xc0282f9a
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xd1f16d28
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xd1f16d30
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 10791 (usb)
interrupt mask          = none
trap number             = 12
panic: page fault

syncing disks... 68 9 3 2 1
done
Uptime: 3d22h46m22s

>How-To-Repeat:
Not sure what triggers this, but I think it is USB related. Most recently it happened when I was plugging and unplugging a UBS 2.0 hub with some stuff attached (mouse and printer). Something simmilar used to happen when I used a USB-to-IDE converter, but I didn't manage to get the console output because I wasn't setup with console to seriel port at that time and don't use that device on that machine anymore. (see bug kern/63779)
>Fix:
not sure.