Date:      Sun, 26 Oct 1997 02:55:05 -0700
From:      John-David Childs <jdc@nterprise.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X server

On Saturday October 25, 1997, Žoršur Ivarsson <totii@est.is>
 had this to say about "Re: X server":

> Hai T. Le wrote:
> >
> > Hi:
> >
> > I recently got this problem.  When I boot up FreeBSD, I configured it to
> > start XDM.  However when I type in my login and password, X tries to log
> > me in, but then logs me out again.  I can't seem to get into my account
> > using X.  If you use one of my other consoles, I can log in.
> >
> > I recently purchased a 3 button mouse.  Do you think this has anything
> > to do with it?  I have a microsoft 2-button mouse before.  I didn't do
> > anything different.  I used to log in without any problems.

There has to be something else which you changed in the X configuration
which is causing the login problem...the mouse isn't it.  I'd guess it's a
path setup problem.

> > Also, I don't know if this is the correct method, but when I shutdown, I
> > generally logout of my account in X, hit CTRL-ALT-F1 to get to a non-X
> > terminal, login, and then type "shutdown now".  The reason I do this is
> > because, xsm always asks me the next time I log in if I want to loag in
> > as failsafe, or default if I shutdown in X.  Any thoughts???

I suppose this depends on the Window Manager you use and the default paths
for temporary files.  On my home machine I use fvwm95 and store temporary
files in /tmp.  When I shutdown I run my own reboot script which rm's the
temporary X files, syncs the disks and reboots/halts depending on the flag
I pass to the script.  Failure to remove the temporary files usually means
(in my experience) that xdm won't start up the next time.  I added my
shutdown routine to the Shutdown menu in the fvwm95 taskbar (the others
just restart fvwm95, restart with another window manager, or lock the
screen/keyboard).

--
John-David Childs (JC612)       Enterprise Internet Solutions
System Administrator            @denver.net/Internet-Coach/@ronan.net