Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2001 11:59:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chuck Rouillard <chuckr@opus.sandiegoca.ncr.com>
To:        David Leimbach <dleimbac@earthlink.net>
Cc:        Freebsd-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Ports me or the port?

On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, David Leimbach wrote:

[crop]
> > This error looks suspicious.. like someone grabbed files
> > directly from a CVS tree somewhere (e.g. patch-a,v). The
> > "patch-a" doesn't look right either. Take a look around
> > in /usr/ports/* for files ending with `,v'.
> >

> Yeah I have a bunch of ,v files... I thought that was odd when CVSup
> started pulling them down.

That's not good. Clear out your /usr/ports/* area and follow
either my (or Mike Meyer's) directions for updating your ports.
If you happen to have the Port dist. tarball lying about, you
can prime the cvsup pump with:

    # tar -zxf ports.tar.gz -C /usr

> I thought I was following the instructions the FreeBSD handbook exactly.

> > > Yes ... but is the sced port not working?  Mine has yet to successfully work.
> > > I took your advice and I see that make.conf most likely will have to be
> > > read at boot time.
[conjoined]
> Really, then there must be another reason why make.conf was not already in /etc
> when I loaded the system.  Also when I added the file to /etc/ it didn't do
> anything at all..  I assumed since there was an /etc/default/make.conf that
> it was read at boot time like all the other scripts.  I am really more used
> to the yucky Sys V startup so a lot of this is new to me.

The reason there wasn't an /etc/make.conf is because you
hadn't added any system-wide -changes- from the default,
which is set in /etc/defaults/make.conf. The same concept
applies to /etc/rc.conf wrt /etc/defaults/rc.conf. Consider:

  # grep <keyword> /etc/defaults/make.conf >> /etc/make.conf

then make the appropriate changes to /etc/make.conf.

As for SYS V, its organization is anything but artful.

.cr