Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 10:59:43 -0600
From:      Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        Hallam Oaks <mlnn4@oaks.com.au>, "hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Multi-terabyte disk farm

On Thu, Oct 29, 1998 at 11:57:30AM -0500, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Karl Denninger wrote:
> > Hmmm... I'll look into this.  We haven't gotten tag reduction warnings
> > on any of our NFS fileservers using these, nor on our INN machine
> > (which uses them in RAID 0+1 config).
>
> You'd proably only see it in RAID5 mode or if you were -really- beating on
> your array.  Still, with that much memory they should make # of tags
> supported a tunable.

We beat the SHIT out of our arrays, and the big NFS servers run in RAID 5
mode :-)

> I really want to find a cheap CRD-5440 just for kicks.  1 host and 2 disk
> channels is just right for a small server.

Yep.  Actually, the 5440 has 4 channels :-)  ~$2500 or so.

Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net) http://www.mcs.net/~karl
I ain't even *authorized* to speak for anyone other than myself, so give
up now on trying to associate my words with any particular organization.