Date:      Wed, 18 Dec 1996 14:42:32 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Rob Hartill <robh@imdb.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Update DB

Are there any plans to update the DB library ?

perl 5.004 is due very soon and is likely to flag a "make test" failures
because of the old version of DB that comes with 2.1.6.1 (and earlier).
FreeBSD uses version 1.74, and the most "recent" is 1.85.

I tried dropping 1.85 of db into the src tree and was able to
compile it ok (after making mpool.h look at the new file in src instead
of /usr/include) but a make install failed. It was 5am and I was too tired
to think to save the error message before I reinstalled the old db and
went to bed, however I think it failed to find "btree.0"

The perl developers have already had a number of bug reports regarding
this. What's the solution ?

The perl people say:

--
Rob Hartill.       Internet Movie Database Ltd.    http://www.imdb.com/

-=-=-=-==-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

1.84 -> 1.85
        recno:  #ifdef out use of mmap, it's not portable enough.

1.83 -> 1.84    Thu Aug 18 15:46:07 EDT 1994
        recno:  Rework fixed-length records so that closing and reopening
                the file now works.  Pad short records on input.  Never do
                signed comparison in recno input reading functions.

1.82 -> 1.83    Tue Jul 26 15:33:44 EDT 1994
        btree:  Rework cursor deletion code yet again; bugs with
                deleting empty pages that only contained the cursor
                record.

1.81 -> 1.82    Sat Jul 16 11:01:50 EDT 1994
        btree:  Fix bugs introduced by new cursor/deletion code.
                Replace return kbuf/dbuf with real DBT's.

1.80 -> 1.81
        btree:  Fix bugs introduced by new cursor/deletion code.
        all:    Add #defines for Purify.

1.79 -> 1.80    Wed Jul 13 22:41:54 EDT 1994
        btree   Change deletion to coalesce empty pages.  This is a major
                change, cursors and duplicate pages all had to be reworked.
                Return to a fixed stack.
        recno:  Affected by cursor changes.  New cursor structures should
                permit multiple cursors in the future.

1.78 -> 1.79    Mon Jun 20 17:36:47 EDT 1994
        all:    Minor cleanups of 1.78 for porting reasons; only
                major change was inlining check of NULL pointer
                so that __fix_realloc goes away.

1.77 -> 1.78    Thu Jun 16 19:06:43 EDT 1994
        all:    Move "standard" size typedef's into db.h.

1.76 -> 1.77    Thu Jun 16 16:48:38 EDT 1994
        hash:   Delete __init_ routine, has special meaning to OSF 2.0.

1.74 -> 1.76
        all:    Finish up the port to the Alpha.