Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 09:53:07 -0500
From:      Randy Pratt <rpratt@ezwv.com>
To:        Gavin Kenny <gavinkenny@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Printer Woes

First, my apologies if the list threading of this isn't correct. I read the
online version and I am not subscribed to the list.

I had similar problems setting up my HP LaserJet 5P.

Try looking at using this filter: /usr/share/examples/printing/hpif

Using the hpif filter, I was able to get text from my HP printer without the
staircase effect. However, my printer didn't do postscript so I ended up using
the apsfilter port. You may have better luck since your printer seems to do
postscript.

These are the steps I used for apsfilter:

1. Set up lpd according to the handbook section on printing.
2. Install the apsfilter port.
3. Moved /etc/printcap to /etc/printcap.orig
4. Ran the /usr/local/apsfilter/SETUP script

The SETUP script has a series of menus to set options and test the printer.

The apsfilter SETUP will create the /etc/printcap file. If the original
printcap file is not moved, the SETUP script will append to the existing
/etc/printcap file. This caused problems until I commented out the section
using the hpif filter. Hence, the reason for the moving the /etc/printcap file.

Hope this helps. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I've missed something.

Randy

On Fri, 19 Feb 2001, you wrote:
> I'm trying to set up an HP 5m on my 4.1 box.

> I've followed the steps in the Handbook and Complete
> FreeBSD but to no avail.

> I can print text and postscript to /dev/lpt0
> but the text duly sufferes from the "staircase"
> effect.

> I've then gone on to to set up lpr with the following
> printcap:

> :Ip|lj|ps|local line printer:\
       :sh:\

> :lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:if=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
       :if=/usr/local/libexec/lpfilter: