Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 1996 08:48:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de (Christoph Kukulies)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tcsh NIS strangeness

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Christoph
Kukulies had to walk into mine and say:

> I updated tcsh since in the old version of tcsh I was running I
> had problems with NIS/YP. In the old version typing
>
> toots> ls ~jolitz
> Unknown user: jolitz.
> (starting a csh and then typing the above gave the expected result)

You either linked tcsh against an old compat version of libc.so or
you linked it static against an old version of libc.a.

> Now with the just compiled tcsh-6.07-02 I get the follwomg strangeness:
>
> toots> ls ~jolitz
> toots>
>
> Only when I once have done a cd ~jolitz ; ls then subsequent
> ls ~jolitz deliver the expected ls listing.
>
> It appears to happen only on the NIS client machines,
> not the server. The respective home dirs are NFS mounted BTW.
> The behaviour looks like tcsh directory caching problem.

Is the NIS server also the NFS server? What version of FreeBSD are
the clients and server running? If you recompile the old version of
tcsh, does that work? If you put user 'jolitz' in the /etc/master.passwd
database on one of the clients, does it work then? If you leave user
'jolitz' in NIS and give him a dummy home directory on the clients
(instead of mounting it via NFS) does it work then?

How is the server configured? Are you using /etc/master.passwd as
the source file for the NIS passwd maps (meaning that the NIS server
can see user 'jolitz' as a local user) or are you using a seperate
file (meaning that the NIS server also has to get his passwd entry
from NIS)?

-Bill