Date:      Sat, 1 Feb 2014 11:25:39 +0100
From:      Andrea Brancatelli <abrancatelli@schema31.it>
To:        =?utf-8?Q?Fr=C3=A9d=C3=A9ric_Alix?= <frederic.alix@fredalix.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org" <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Bhyve and network virtualization

Hello Frederic,

This is an interesting question. Funny thing is in the past day I had the sa=
me doubt, but after some minutes I realized FreeBSD already has everything t=
hat is needed to handle a "virtualization network" by itself. Obviously what=
's missing is some kind of GUI or guided path to do it easily. At least that=
's what I thought.

Today I have seen openvswitch site and understood that it has many more feat=
ures, but frankly non of them actually raised any interest in me. Maybe I di=
dn't understand them, but in general id like to jeep things simple, as simpl=
e as possible. And simply put openvswitch seemed to me the next project aime=
d to fixing a badly designed tcp stack not working good for many VMs and suc=
h. And after all that's the reason why I'm using FreeBSD and not Linux, and t=
hat's also the reason one of the most powerful networking appliance as pfsen=
se is based on FreeBSD and not Linux.

So, simply put, instead of spend time adopting something like openvswitch I'=
d rather spend time writing something for FreeBSD directly (and maybe merge i=
t with bhyve project)... But, hey, that's me...

Andrea "Mr.SK" Brancatelli