Date:      Thu, 18 May 2000 23:40:48 +0100
From:      "Robin Breathe" <robin.breathe@merton.oxford.ac.uk>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   make installworld - Errors

I've been having some major headaches trying to get my system up to
4.0-STABLE...
I've synced to the latest /usr/src tree multiple times, and successfully
made buildworld.  I then follow the instructions in /usr/src/UPDATING to the
letter, but it all falls down on "make installworld" with the following
error:

/*** START OF ERROR ***/
vm/vnode_pager.h -> vm/vnode_pager.ph
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/utils/h2ph.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/utils.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/gnu.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
/*** END OF ERROR ***/

Now, I do not understand why this is happening - I get exactly the same
problem in both single- and multi-user modes.

The very first time that I tried to do this (on Saturday night) it worked
fine - I just did a "make world" and all went as it should, I made a new
kernel (using my old config file), rebooted, and all was happy.

I then decided that I wanted to install OpenSSL-0.9.5a in order to be able
to use openssh-2.1...  Following the advice of another user I changed the
OpenSSL ports Makefile to install to /usr instead of /usr/local
[PREFIX=/usr]
Following this OpenSSL broke (though my source said that doing this worked
fine on his installation, and I can't see why it wouldn't (though of course
it hasn't)).
Because OpenSSL is now broken, ssh is totally broken too, leading to extra
hassle...

Is there any way I can rectify the situation short of a total reinstall?  It
seems ridiculous that the update is failing at the installworld stage!?
What is going on???

Please reply, as I'm short of time, and indeed patience, having been trying
to get this to work for the past week :(

Yours,
    Robin B.