Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 1997 22:01:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Everett F Batey II <efb@cotdazr.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading 2.0.5 to 2.1 or 2.2 ..

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Everett F Batey II wrote:

> Thanks for the responses re Netscape 4 and 2.1.7 or 2.2 being
> the oldest host OS ..
>
> I have done an awful lot of pestering others to get 2.0.5 doing
> X11R.., IIJPPP, wrappers, web stuff .. serving DNS (registered)
>
> IS there any path I can follow to upgrade this 2.0.5 as configured and
> NOT have to completely rebuild disks, above working applications.

You probably had to do the pestering to get those apps back-ported from
whatever they came from.  All of those (should) work fine on current
releases.  I'm doing X, user PPP, and Apache from this box which is before
2.2.0, and I'd do DNS if I needed to.

> OR with a new SCSI, primary disk is there a way I can work my way
> into the newer version while still able to boot 2.0.5 ..

If you have a new disk, you can use booteasy to give you a boot selector
between the two systems.

>  .. e.g. some fairly senility-proof way ???

What would be easiest, perhaps, would be to set up a mirror system, get
that working with the desired release, and slowly migrate over.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo