Date:      Sun, 23 May 1999 18:18:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas Good <tomg@nrnet.org>
To:        Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>
Cc:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>, "FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PostgreSQL

On Sun, 23 May 1999, Jim Freeze wrote:

> Is postgreSQL on the 4CD set from Walnut Creek for FreeBSD 3.1?
> I did a full install originally and thought that I saw it under
> the ports section. When I redid the install, I performed a standard
> install without ports. I thought that I could find the pgsql database
> on the cd, but I have had no luck so far.
>
> Additionally, if it is on the cd, how do I install it (what is the
> command line instruction)?

Jim - I've never seen it on the cds (I have 2.2.7, 2.2.8 and 3.1)
then again I usually just build it.  Once you build PG you need to
enable the trio of sys v functions in the kernel src (SYSVSHM,
SYSVMSG and SYSVSEM) and the do a kernel rebuild.

After that it works fine...BTW, I *really* wish PostgreSQL would make
binaries available (hence my cc to Scrappy ;-).

We might get Scrappy to consider this if more of us bought PG cd-roms.
It's cheap (about $35 US for 3 issues) and the money funds development
of what I think is the best freeware db (I use it on production boxes
and am more impressed with it every day.)

Cheers,
Tom

> Thanks
>
> ==================
> Dr Jim D. Freeze
> jim@freeze.org

----
         North Richmond Community Mental Health Center

         Thomas Good   Information Systems Coordinator
         E-Mail:       tomg@ { admin | q8 } .nrnet.org
         Phone:        718-354-5528
         Fax:          718-354-5056

                 Empowered by PostgreSQL 6.3.2