Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 1999 22:07:02 -0300
From:      Rodrigo Ormonde <ormonde@aker.com.br>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Remoting kernel debugging with FreeBSD 3.1

  Hello.

  I set up two boxes connected through a serial cable in order to try the
remote kernel debugging, using xxgdb. I followed the instructions as they
appear in the handbook, but I found some problems:

  In the target host, I started the boot with the -d option. When the DDB
prompt appeared I typed gdb and then s, followed by enter. The debugging
host was able to take control of the target host, however the xxgdb hanged
up (or better, the command prompt did not appear, but I was still able to
click on the quit button, for instance).

  I discovered the problem ocurred when the xxgdb tried to read the source
file, because when a started it without the "symbol-file kernel.debug"
command, everything worked fine (but it didn't  help much, for I was unable
to check the symbols).

  The interesting point is the if a quit the xxgdb and start it again (with
the debugging host still stopped) and issue the "symbol-file kernel.debug"
command, xxgdb is able to read the symbols and point exactly the source
code line where the kernel is stopped, but it does not read the source
file.  I'm then able to set a break point on some functions, but when the
breakpoint is reached xxgdb hangs again (and if I quit and start it again
like I just wrote, it also works).

  Has anybody also faced this problem ? Is there any solutions ?

  By the way, is it possible to debug a KLD module using remoting debugging
? Any tricks ?

  Please send a copy of the answers to me, I'm not on the list.

  Thanks in advance,

--
Rodrigo de La Rocque Ormonde
e-mail: ormonde@aker.com.br

--> Turn your PC into a workstation. Use FreeBSD <--