Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 96 17:47:34 MET
From:      Greg Lehey <lehey.pad@sni.de>
To:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com (Joe Greco)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, isdn@muc.ditec.de
Subject:   Re: Microsoft "Get ISDN"?

>>> True (well, I haven't seen lossage using 16550's, but anyone using 16450's
>>> deserves what they get).
>>
>> I think you would do at 160 kb/s.
>
> Maybe, but I don't at 230 kb/s.

Then I think we can assume that you won't at 160 kb/s either.  How
much disk activity do you have?  To be honest, the problems I have on
my 16550As are with BSD/386 1.1, not with FreeBSD, but I suspect that
the same kind of problems are latent.

>>> I don't see people running "raw IP" over sync lines, either.  It's generally
>>> run via PPP or Cisco or some other protocol..  you can certainly run PPP or
>>> SLIP over an async ISDN connection as well.
>>
>> You don't in the US, but it's the standard (if not only) way to do it
>> over ISDN here in Germany.
>
> That wouldn't work well here, mainly because most folks don't have control
> over both ends of the link.  Most folks will connect to a service provider
> who is using PPP on V.120 or somesuch...

I think this is just another view of the same problem.  Admittedly,
over here you'll also find ISPs who want to use ppp over ISDN, mainly
because they don't know any better.

>>> Eh, really?????  Wow.  And here I thought iijppp had these features built
>>> in.  Silly me.  ;-)
>>
>> Looks like I might be behind the times here.  Is this with the call
>> setup time you mention below?
>
> I haven't tried it with iijppp.  I run all my dedicated connections through
> SLIP, because they're nailed up 24/7...

OK.  I'm looking from the other viewpoint: small user, expensive phone
call time, but still an itch in my fingers that makes the 2 seconds
seem interminable too.  It's my gut feeling that ppp setup would take
significantly longer.  If anybody has any hard figures, I'd be
interested to hear them.  Either way, of course, that doesn't alter
the fact that ppp represents protocol overhead which you don't need
under ISDN.

Greg