Date:      Fri, 28 Oct 2005 18:41:19 -0400
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy@optushome.com.au>, hackers@freebsd.org, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Very slow writing to SATA disk

> Look in smartmontools I provided patches for that, its not rocket
> science you know...

This attitude -- on top of the API change itself -- is not really encouraging
for ISVs, you know :-)

> You need to find out what the transfer rates are for the RAW disk, ie
> by doing a dd from /dev/zero to the disk with a a resonable blocksize
> say 1M to minimize overhead. Also read speed from disk to /dev/null
> blocksize 1M would be helpfull.

The read test averaged 62603828 bytes/sec over a minute or so.
The write test is only 6931231 bytes/sec -- about 9 times less.

While dd is running, `systat 1 -vm' reports about 110 ata-interrupts (irq 25)
per second during the write test, and about 1000 during the read test.

Thanks for your help.

	-mi