Date:      Sun, 28 May 2000 07:25:07 +0200
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        "FreeBSD Current Users' list" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SB AWE64 not recognised anymore

Hello!

On Sun, May 28, 2000 at 02:06:03AM +0200, Ollivier Robert wrote:
> I just upgraded my home machine from 4.0-R to 5.0-CURRENT and have found
> something odd. I have an ISA PnP SB AWE64 in the machine and it is not seen by
> the system at all.

Are you using the pcm driver or the old voxware drivers? I have the same
card and it has been always working for me with pcm both on 4.0 and now
-CURRENT. Using it right now:-)

The only remaining issue this far has been that when the Linux RealPlayer
starts playing a clip, it will always start-stop-start in the beginning and
after doing this exactly once, it will play for about 2 secs and then start
replaying a short snippet faster and faster for about 4 secs not more, after
this is done, playing works as it should. Which is annoying but since I only
use RealPlayer to listen to live radio, I simply do not turn on the volume
in the first 5-6 secs after which normally all is correct again. Must stress
that this *only* happens with RealPlayer for Linux, but *not* with mp3
playback or anything else. These symptoms were not present under 4.0. So it
can be just as well linuxulator related...

> I found this in dmesg:
>
> isab0: <Intel 82371SB PCI to ISA bridge> at device 7.0 on pci0
> isa0: <ISA bus> on isab0
> isa0: unexpected small tag 14

This is no problems. Was also present under 4.0-STABLE for me. I do not know
what it means though.
> unknown: <Audio> can't assign resources
>
> Any idea why ? The 'small tag' error worries me...
>
> Messages from older boot:
>
> sbc0: <Creative SB AWE64> at port 0x220-0x22f,0x330-0x331,0x388-0x38b irq 5 drq 1,5 on isa0
> sbc0: setting card to irq 5, drq 1, 5
> pcm0: <SB DSP 4.16> on sbc0

So you are using pcm then... Well I only have

device pcm
device sbc

in my kernel config and no PNPBIOS option. (PnP OS set to "no" in the BIOS)

Despite this, yesterday's kernel prints all sorts of "unknownX <PNPxxx> ....
" lines which I only saw this far with people who had "options PNPBIOS" in
their kernels. But it doesn't bother me much... I know that the SB 64 PnP
ISA exports so many possible PnP configs that it may confuse the kernel.

(I have no other PnP devices so I am easy here.)

The lines that matter come after that:-)

sbc0: <Creative SB AWE64> at port 0x220-0x22f,0x330-0x331,0x388-0x38b irq 5
drq
1,5 on isa0
sbc0: setting card to irq 5, drq 1, 5
pcm0: <SB DSP 4.16> on sbc0

and here we go.

What does 'cat /dev/sndstat' say on your system?

Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM
Szeged University
Szeged Hungary