Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 1996 08:52:14 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Rob Simons <rob@xs1.simplex.nl>
Cc:        nate@sri.MT.net, steve@edmweb.com, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP (iijppp) proxy ARP bug?

> | > I seem to have found a bug in iijppp. It doesn't always delete the ARP
> | > entry when the connection is closed. Further connections on that IP
> | > address don't work until I manually arp -d the entry.
> |
> | This is a kernel bug which is fixed in -stable.  Upgrade your kernel
> | sources to -stable and all will be well.
>
> Can anyone upgrade the kernel sources of 2.1-RELEASE to 2.2-stable (I
> assume you meant that) without expecting problems ?

It's actually 2.1-stable, and 2.2-current.  The next release of -stable
will be 2.1.1, so it's much more like 2.1 than 2.2.

> And, is it really fixed, or do you mean that ugly hack about first
> checking if there still is an old arp entry before setting up a new
> one ?

Umm, it's really fixed, but it involves deleting the bogus entry.
The system creating an unresolved entry is correct behavior, and
deleting the unresolved entry when a valid entry is found is correct
behavior.

This is done in the kernel though, so it's not a user-land hack to work
around kernel bugs.

Nate