Date:      Mon, 2 Nov 1998 23:16:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Memory Usage under -current

On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, Tom wrote:

>   You should compare a 3.0 aout to a 3.0 elf system.  I belive the memory
> size reporting has changed significantly between 2.2.x and 3.0, and these
> reporting changes are what you are seeing.  I don't think 2.2.x included
> certain shared objects in its count.

Which reminds me....I posted a question about this some time ago
and didn't get an answer.  On my 64MB+128MB swap system, systat
reports like this:

Mem:KB    REAL            VIRTUAL                     VN PAGER  SWAP PAGER
        Tot   Share      Tot    Share    Free         in  out     in  out
Act   20116    2128  3819008     3480    4724 count
All   63892   11452   904292    19628         pages

The figure for Total Active Virtual strikes me as being just a little
out of whack.  Curiously, it gives a more believable figure in single
user mode.

This isn't 3.0 specific...it happend in the 2.2.x series as well, but
it only does it on this one machine.

-john