Date:      Sat, 02 Mar 2002 16:44:31 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        mwlucas@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: request input from Japanese translators,

Michael Lucas <mwlucas@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote
  in <20020301073012.B75158@blackhelicopters.org>:

mwlucas> Our current idea is that the main -doc tree would be frozen for a week
mwlucas> before a release.

 I also think one week before a release is reasonable.  Personally,
 three days are enough for me and more than one week is too long,
 but as Kuriyama-san said, it depends on how long time we can spend
 on the work around the release point.  Perhaps for translation teams,
 the fact that English documents would be frozen at a certain point
 of time is important.

 However, although Japanese team is not using our own CVS tree
 for the work now, some other teams using their own CVS tree
 may need additional time to synchronize each other.

 I think one week long can be common ground in either case, and at least
 there is no objection to this idea in Japanese mailing-list.

mwlucas> The release notes would enter a "soft freeze" during that time.  Only
mwlucas> vital updates would be entered.  Because the main source tree can be
mwlucas> updated during this time, we have difficulty freezing the release
mwlucas> notes.  Whenever possible, however, updates would go into the
mwlucas> post-release errata rather than the main release notes.

 Yes, I agree with your idea if the exceptional changes are informed
 the translation teams well.