Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2013 21:53:18 +0200
From:      Laura Marie Feeney <lmfeeney@sics.se>
To:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Cc:        glebius@freebsd.org, osa@freebsd.org
Subject:   suspend/resume on Lenovo X1 (regression from reports on wiki)

At https://wiki.freebsd.org/SuspendResume, users osa and glebius both
report on Thinkpad Carbon X1.  They agree that suspend and resume work
from X (but not console) for '9.0-stable' and 'head' respectively.

Sadly, I can't reproduce this on 9.2-RC2: Under X, resume fails to
restore video.  I don't know whether this is a configuration error on my
part, or a regression, or the original reports on the wiki were
misunderstood. (I do reproduce it not working on console.)

Suggestions are welcome, especially from those who report working
configurations.  Details below, log files at
http://www.sics.se/~lmfeeney/9.2-RC2.

This is a new machine, with a minimal 9.2-RC2 install from memstick.  X
and its dependencies are installed from packages via portmaster and hald
and dbus are enabled, as is ssh.  These are the only packages installed.
  X is started using startx (with twm) and no xorg.conf.

The kernel is a minimal kernel with no devices complied in and no option
VESA (see ANKUNGE.config, dmesg, devinfo, pciconf, acpi.)

Suspend appears to work (screen turns off, no ping, power light pulses
slowly).

On resume, the kernel resumes and if iwn is loaded, I can ssh into the
machine.  The screen does not resume, not even the backlight. (Looking
with a flashlight, it doesn't seem to be in any mode.)  The X server
seems to have exited with error message (see messages, Xorg.0.log), but
hald and dbus are still running.

Fatal server error:
EnterVT failed for screen 0

Using debug.bootverbose and debug.acpi.suspend_bounce leaves the
backlight on, but doesn't restore the screen.  If I ssh into the
machine, the X server seems still be running (see messages_bouce,
Xorg.0.log_bounce).

the behavior. Same is true for i915 module.  (These modules are reported
in the working configuration info on the wiki.)

The SuspendResume wiki notes that sdhci must be unloaded.  These aren't
in my minimal kernel, checked by loading and unloading the module).

The old acpi.reset_video=1 option gives kernel panic on resume.

With option VESA in the  minimal kernel, the machine seems to suspend
OK.  On resume, the backlight comes on and the wlan indicator blinks a
couple of times.  Otherwise, the machine is unresponsive to both ping
and (blind) keyboard commands.  The GENERIC kernel has similar behavior.

Thanks for any suggestion -- I really hope it's a configuration error on
my part,

Laura