Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 09:56:05 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: exec() doesn't update access time

>I noticed that exec(2) does not update the last access time of a file...
>is this intentional?

   Not exactly intentional (I never had that as a goal when I wrote execve()),
but it's a side-effect of exec not doing a 'read' on the file in the
traditional sense. This has been discussed several times over the past many
years and the end result is that 1) Noone really seems to care very much, and
2) There are performance reducing implications if the atime update is
forced.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
President, TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.