Date:      Sun, 14 Feb 1999 14:22:59 -0500
From:      "David Nixon" <dnixon@mantech.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3c905B-TX FastEtherlink XL

I have a FreeBSD box on my test bed and another in production.  The test bed PC I rebuild with the release CDs I get from a local PC store (got to support you guys somehow), then CVS up to stable.  My collection of CDs goes back to 2.2.5.  You may be asking yourself why should I care and how does that help me?  The point being that I have been running both my test bed box and production box with 3Com 3c905B-TX ethernet cards from the beginning.  On 2.5 up specify the card as a 3c509 and use the dos config program (3Com driver disks) to turn off PNP on the card then match up the IRQ and memory address to what you have in your kernel.

2.2.8 works great with the card but you need to watch the message log to look for errors stemming from software settings on the NIC.  I was getting a autoconfigure error (working on fuzzy memory) but the card was working fine.  Basically, I turned off PNP and manually set the NIC to get rid of the error.  I didn't manually set the network type, so the error I was getting was not from that.

I can't speak/write as to how 3.0 performs but hope to remedy that on a one of the duel processor servers on the test bed here.

David A. Nixon
Network Security
ManTech International Corp
(W) 1.703.218.8229    (F) 1.703.218.8391
e-mail: DNixon@ManTech.Com

>>> Chamara Somaratne <chamaras@singnet.com.sg> 02/13 10:44 AM >>>
Hi,

I am at the moment running 2.2.6-stable. Was thinking about upgrading
to a later release. Can somebody provide some advise as to whether I
should go with 3.0.0(Nov 98) or 2.2.8 (Dec 98) or 3.1 (March 99 - btw
is this in the stable branch?)

Here's my concern. I have this 3c905B-TX FastEtherlink XL card which
is at the moment not supported by 2.2.6, My concern is which of the
newer
releases provide better operation with this NIC.

cheers,
KC.