Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 10:02:38 -0800
From:      Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ES1371 PCI card questions

Another question about the ES1371.  Under 3.4-STABLE and the pcm driver,
I get this from mine at bootup:

    es1: <AudioPCI ES1371> rev 0x06 int a irq 18 on pci0.10.0
    pcm1: using I/O space register mapping at 0xb800
    es1371: codec vendor \M^C\M^Dv revision 9
    es1371: codec features Bass & Treble 18bit DAC 18bit ADC
    es1371: stereo enhancement: unknown

(It seems a bit confused about the vendor name.)

More oddly, the mixer can't set the bass or treble.  Rather, it lets me
set them, but it always reads back as zero and makes no difference to
the sound output:

    $ mixer bass 100
    Setting the mixer bass to 100:100.
    $ mixer
    Mixer vol      is currently set to 100:100
    Mixer bass     is currently set to   0:0
    Mixer treble   is currently set to   0:0
    Mixer pcm      is currently set to  49:49
    Mixer speaker  is currently set to  64:64
    Mixer line     is currently set to  64:64
    Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
    Mixer cd       is currently set to  64:64
    Mixer rec      is currently set to  64:64
    Mixer ogain    is currently set to  64:64
    Mixer line1    is currently set to  64:64
    Mixer phin     is currently set to  64:64
    Mixer video    is currently set to  64:64
    $

Finally, I'm still unable to reliably record sound from the line-in at
anything but the lowest rate.  I had this problem with a SB AWE64 ISA
card and was hoping that switching to a PCI sound card would work
better.  It still skips and jumps, as if it just can't keep up,
regardless of what tool I'm using to record.

Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance!

	-- Parag Patel