Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 2002 13:32:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
To:        "Fischer, Oliver" <plexus@snafu.de>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd test matrix

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Fischer, Oliver wrote:
> For an operating system it isn't enough only to check if the sources
> compile. You would like to know if all the tools which are close to the
> hardware work properly. Or you would like to know if the machine can
> boot. All this issues aren't addressed by tinderbox.

I agree.  Although, if a given system can build and install both world and
a kernel, and boot without issues...  Just knowing that can "verify" many
components of the system (gcc, awk, etc. are used in a build).  While not
verifying all (most/boundary) cases as a test harness would attempt to do,
it's better than nothing.  :)

> Indeed you could have suites with tests for tools as the c compiler, awk
> and so on and so on.

Hmm, I wonder if something similar is used or was developed for internal
QA?  Anyone?  It seems like there should at least be a "best practice" for
testing systems...  How do we currently make a -RELEASE with confidence?
Of course you can't verify a given release builds on every platform, but
is there an automated means of verifying system compoents work and
interoperate properly on a given test system or set of systems?

> But if are interested in seeting up such a beast (tinderbox) for freebsd
> then drop me a line. I would like to take part in this.

I am interested in contributing in anyway I can.  If people would use
this, I can host it.

FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE #3: Mon Oct 14 18:40:49 PDT 2002
CPU: Pentium III/Pentium III Xeon/Celeron (1258.22-MHz 686-class CPU)
real memory  = 2147418112 (2097088K bytes)

Currently doing very little - quite the waste.  ;)

So I have a box, bandwidth, and a volunteer...  We need to agree on
the best way to test (I.e. get the same output collected in the same way
from all submitters), and create/find intuitive submission tools as you
pointed out.

I'm reading up on tinderbox now.