Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 1996 00:19:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, phk@critter.tfs.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: users of "ft" tapes, please test!

> >>I have been thinking about un-inlining spls.  This saves 29K out of
>
> >I generally use the rule of thumb that unless the text-size is
> >smaller as a result, then inlining is wrong.
>
> A good rule, I think.  Of course it is wrong if the code is in a tight
> loop, but that isn't common.
>
> I think the inlines for min(), etc. break this rule.  There aren't many
> inlines that follow it.  E.g,. the inline spltty(), which is approximately
> only 2 C instructions (save = cpl; cpl |= tty_imask;) is twice as large
> as the non-inline version.

I built the system with a de-inlined splx() and found an approx 10K savings.
My equiv changes for vm_wait saved approx 4K.  In both cases, I could not
detect a significant speed impact (if anything, it appears that the system
ran faster.)  Note that this is on a P6 -- which has really good caching.
Hope to soon get my P5-166 back up, for P5 testing.

If there is not a significant negative speed impact, I would be tempted to
make the changes.  It would be very suprising to see that an appropriately
coded splvm/splimp/splxxx would be much smaller than the subroutine call...
Have you considered coding the splxxx inlines in tight asm?  Would that help?

John