Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 09:23:57 +0100
From:      "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@research.kpn.com>
Subject:   RE: ATA drives with ATA66 (?) controller

> >Thanks a lot for your note. Maybe I missstated my problem:
> >my drive works great with W98, but is not recognized by FBSD.]
> >Any thoughts on what I might do (besides sending the drive/controller
> >to you:=>)

FreeBSD is quite a bit more picky that Windows when it comes to IDE jumper
settings. On the back (or PCB) of your drive (and your cd players too)
you'll find the master/slave and the CS jumpers. In many cases just setting
the master/slave properly will satisfy Windows, but FreeBSD wants you to set
CS properly as well.

Does anyone know what CS stands for (Cable Select?) and what it is for?

Find the docs for the drives ("ftp ftp.<your disk vendor>.com) is a good
place to start. They have little ASCII-art disk layout schematics. In many
cases nowadays it's printed on the casing.

You may want to place the two cdrom players on the secondary IDE bus, and
leave the big drive alone on the primary. (Assuming you're not sending it to
me for ... uhh ... inspection)

Kees Jan