Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 96 17:36:42 CST
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@solaria.sol.net>
To:        mtaylor@cybernet.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proper FreeBSD news machine

> Hi Joe, hackers-
>
> We've recently gotten a full T1 link to the Internet, and along with it,
> a news feed.  I have the T1 and news feed on a 486 DX2/66 machine, with
> 2 SCSI tape drives and 4 SCSI disks (all on one Adaptec 1542B controller),
> with 16 Mb RAM and 100 Mb of swap.

do you mean that you're using the DX2/66 as a router too?

> I was wondering about the slow performance of innd-1.4 wrt
> getting the news artices- it gets about 1 article per second.  This
> makes it kinda lag behind- it'll never get all the articles at this
> rate.  (I'm receiving receiving ~5000 of the possible 16k+ newsgroups, and
> I will subscribe to more when I get the performance up).

you are correct sir.  :-)

> What kind of machine should I be using for the news spooler?

Let me sketch out my news operation here.  I have multiple news peers, very
few readers, I retain about a million articles (5 to 7 days retention)..

> A) 486DX2/66 fast enough?  need a Pentium-133?

news.sol.net was a DX4/100 up until yesterday.  I upgraded because I got a
good deal, not because CPU was much of an issue.  I'd say I was running
30-40% idle.  That suggests a DX2/66 would be squeaky, though.  The box is
now a P90 and I notice a slight performance improvement.

> B) how much RAM?  32 Mb enough?

No.  In particular look at the size of history.pag as a clue to how much RAM
you need.  My many-years-tried-and-true INN RAM formula is:

Memory: 16MB + sizeof(history.pag) * 2MB + numclients * 1MB + numfeeds * 1MB.

"clients" are expected simultaneous nnrp's.  feeds are outbound feeds,
innxmit or nntplink, no matter.  sizeof(history.pag) in megabytes.

For me this translates into 16MB + 16 * 2MB + 5 * 1MB + 15 * 1MB = 68MB.

Here's the reasoning.  In order to do history lookups efficiently, INN must
retain a complete copy of history.pag incore.  Failure to do so is very
costly.  Now consider expires:  expire also needs to be able to
simultaneously hold a new history.pag open.  If it does not have enough RAM,
it will begin to fight for pages with INN, and both your innd and expire
processes will slow to a crawl.  You also must factor in memory for other
running processes (i.e. clients and feeds), and the OS itself needs some RAM
(16MB, let's say, for kernel, cache, scratch, etc).

> C) would separate SCSI busses help?  (I plan to put a second 4.3Gb HD
>    in for the rest of the news spool)

Go PCI SCSI if you can.  Also, the more disks, the merrier (I have 14 but
then I'm a performance freak).

> D) whose SCSI card has the 'best' performance?

I've had good luck with the AHA3940 and NCR-810 based cards.  The AHA2940
should work well too.

> E) newfs- what options for creating spool disks?  (-i 1024, etc.)

-b 4096 -f 512  -- except for your alt.binaries disk, which I create with
default params because it doesn't matter.

> I've found FreeBSD to be very useful over the last few years.  I
> appreciate the work that has gone into it.  Thanks to WC, and all
> the core team!

Me too :-)

> -Mark Taylor
> SysAdmin (only when necessary!)
> mtaylor@cybernet.com

Pay close attention to the memory advice.  I see so many people try to get
by without enough memory.  It doesn't pay.  I run Exec-PC's news operation
and they try to squeeze 150-200 nnrp clients onto a box with 128MB RAM.
They complain to me that it "takes forever to connect".  I wonder why.  ;-)

... Joe