Date:      Sun, 8 Nov 1998 20:48:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason K. Fritcher" <jkf@calweb.com>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   router/bridge question

Hello.

I currently have a 2.2.7-RELEASE system routing between a network and the
rest of the internet. I would like to split the inside network into two
segments and have the gateway bridge the two inside segments, in addition to
routing them to the internet. I have d/l'ed Luigi's bridging patches, and
read them over. Before I patch a kernel and put it into use on a production
machine, I wanted to know from others how well it bridges, and routes at the
same time.

For the internal network, I am going to be using a dual-port SMC card using
the de driver. For the internet link, I am most likely going to be using an
Intel EtherExpress. Looking at the comments at the top of bridge.c, it says
to give only one interface an address. If this machine is also going to
route between two networks, I am going to need to assign an address to the
outside interface, and an address to the inside pair, but I have absolutely
no idea how this is to be accomplished.

Any help/comments/pointers much appriciated.