Date:      Tue, 2 Oct 2001 22:52:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Maxime Henrion <mux@qualys.com>
Cc:        Dwayne <Dwayne.MacKinnon@xwave.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Memory allocation question

:
:Dwayne wrote:
:>      I'm creating an app where I want to use memory to store data so I
:> can get at it quickly. The problem is, I can't afford the delays that
:> would occur if the memory gets swapped out. Is there any way in FreeBSD
:> to allocate memory so that the VM system won't swap it out?
:>
:I think mlock(2) is what you want.
:
:Maxime Henrion
:--
:Don't be fooled by cheap finnish imitations ; BSD is the One True Code

    Don't use mlock().

    Use SysV Shared memory segments.  If you tell the kernel to use
    physical ram for SysV shared memory (kern.ipc.shm_use_phys=1)
    then any shm segments you allocate (see manual pages for
    shmctl, shmget, and shmat) will reside in unswappable shared memory.

						-Matt