Date:      Tue, 09 Nov 1999 23:22:58 -0500
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I/O Evaluation Questions (Long but interesting!)

Bruce Evans wrote:

> > And this, ladies and gentlemen is what I do not understand;
> >
> > Why is random WRITE to a block device about 10-11 times
> > slower than raw device?
> > Actually, sequential read is 1/3 of raw device too.  Why?
>
> Block devices have to use a fixed block size.  This size is
> normally BLKDEV_IOSIZE.  For historical reasons, BLKDEV_IOSIZE
> is normally too small.  On i386's, it is 2048 in RELENG_3 and
> 4096 in -current.  -current has a sysctl to set the default
> size.
>
> Large i/o's are split up into blocks of the fixed size.  Small
> blocks are very bad for sequential i/o's.  They may actually be
> good for random i/o's if the original i/o's are small.
>
> Bruce

Thanx Bruce.

What I observed, is that ALL block device I/O is happening
in 8KB calls, except for the 512 bytes calls for slice
and partition management (5 of them, methinks).

The 10:1 random write problem may be mine;  An ancient
and well hidden bug in st.d which made lock unlock calls
for every i/o.

We run circles around NT in the Random I/O department,
but take a beating in the sequential I/O arena;
For about the same hardware, they do 98 MB/Sec,
I cannot get more than 45.

Their test machine has 64bit PCI.  Mine does not.

--

Sincerely Yours,                 Shimon@Simon-Shapiro.ORG
                                             404.664.6401

Unwritten code has no bugs and executes at twice the speed of mouth