Date:      Tue, 4 Nov 1997 17:41:43 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mv /usr/src/games /dev/null - any objections?

On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > So, to seperate out the issues here, first form a list of everything that
> > should be around but not in /usr/games because it isn't.  Then propose
> > moving those to usr.bin or wherever is appropriate for the particular
> > program.
> >
> > After that, propose nuking what is left of /usr/games in favor of a port
> > or whatever.
>
> I think that pretty much sums it up, yes.

My suggestions, based off /usr/games from 2.2.5-R

Sub packages:

     bsdmisc      -- somewhat useful tools/toys/misc programs
     bsdgames     -- general bsd style games
     bsdadventure -- bsd text adventure games
     bsdlegacy    -- bsd 'not really games, rather useless programs now'

Perhaps splitup 'bsdgames' a little more, based off general types..
*shrug*

Note the keyword 'like' we should use when referring to games of TM
nature.  When 'mv ??' is seen, I'm not sure if we should change its name
or not (is it copyright?), and if so, to what name?

Game/CMD     PKG           Action      Description
--------     ---           ------      -----------
adventure    bsdadventure              text adventure
arithmetic   bsdlegacy                 asks math questions, you answer
atc          bsdgames                  air traffic controller
backgammon   bsdgames      mv ??       like backgammon
  teachgammon bsdgames                 teach the rules to backgammon
battlestar   bsdadventure  mv ??       text adventure
bcd          bsdlegacy                 input text, output like punch cards
boggle       bsdgames      mv duh      like boggle
bs           bsdgames                  like battleship
caesar       bsdmisc                   decrypt caesar ciphers
canfield     bsdgames                  solitare game
  cfscores   bsdgames                  part of canfield
cribbage     bsdgames
dm           bsdgames      mv gm       game master (dungeon master is a tm
                                         of TSR) wraps games.. perhaps
just rm?
factor       bsdmisc                   factor a number
fish         bsdgames                  play 'fish'
fortune      bsdmisc
grdc         bsdlegacy                 curses based digital clock
hack         bsdadventure              explore the Dungeons of Doom, like
rogue
hangman      bsdgames      mv ??       play hangman
larn         bsdadventure  mv ??       explore the caverns of Larn
mille        bsdgames      mv ??       play Mille Bornes
morse        bsdlegacy                 input text, output morse code
number       bsdmisc                   numbers as english (i.e. one
hundred)
phantasia    bsdgames      mv ??       an interterminal fantasy game
piano        bsdlegacy     mv ??       play a piano using QWERTYUIOP[]
pig          bsdgames                  input text, output piglatin
pom          bsdmisc                   display the phase of the moon
ppt          bsdlegacy                 input text, output paper tape
primes       bsdmisc                   figure prime numbers
quiz         bsdgames                  random knowledge tests
rain         bsdlegacy                 display ascii rain on your terminal
random       bsdmisc                   pick random lines from file
robots       bsdgames                  fight off villainous robots
rogue        bsdadventure              explore the Dungeons of Doom
rot13        bsdmisc                   input text, output text+13
sail         bsdgames                  multi-user sailing of ships
snake        bsdgames                  evade snakes
  snscore    bsdgames                  part of snake
strfile      bsdgames?                 used by several programs to create
  unstr                                  ''string'' file databases
trek         bsdgames      mv ??       trekkie game
wargames     bsdgames                  stupid front end to games
worm         bsdgames                  growing worm game
worms        bsdlegacy                 animated ascii worms
wump         bsdgames                  hunt the wumpus in an underground cave