Date:      Tue, 13 Jan 1998 22:32:08 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Subject:   Re: Purify/Insure++

> 	I guess this begs the question as to what they would consider a large
> enough market in order to do the port?  Same for pretty much any commercial
> port, how many ppl would have to commit to purchasing a copy to make it
> viable for them?

I asked them this question myself, and they said:

	1. If they can get $1M up-front to do the port, the'll do it
	   outright (start saving those box-tops now, kids!) and not
	   worry about sales.

	2. If they're not paid $1M up-front, they'd settle for moving
	   1500 units a year at around $1K a copy.  That's about 150
	   copies a month and probably still well out of reach for
	   something in this price range (and not all sales months are
	   created equal, which means you'd have to do far better than
	   this on certain months).

Add to this the fact that Purify has changed hands at least 3 times in
the last 24 months and may well change hands another 3 times before
they're done and you have a very very unstable sales and support
picture.

In other words, "Forget it."  If we want Insure or Purify in the free
software world, we're going to have to do our own versions and hope
that there aren't too many software patents on the process.

					Jordan