Date:      Sun, 8 Oct 2000 15:01:33 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Cc:        craig@allmaui.com (Craig Cowen), freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG (freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG)
Subject:   Re: Check Point FW-1

> > The big cheeses at work want to use check point instead of ipf or any
> > other open source solution.
> > Can anybody help me with vunerabilities to this so that I can change
> > thier minds?
>
> Tell them that IP Filter is the software which protects Firewall-1 from
> the Internet when running on Solaris - you have to go with naked FW-1 on
> NT.  There are two factors to this equation, however.  FW-1 is typically
> deployed on Solaris/NT machines although now the Nokia box makes up a
> large number of those sales.  The Nokia boxes run IPSO which was, long
> ago, FreeBSD (I'm told it no longer bears much resemblence).

Not completely true.  I've heard rumors that underneath it's still
pretty much FreeBSD, and they may be updating the packeage to FreBSD
4.1R 'Real Soon Now'.  The biggest fator seems to be the silly license
scheme that CheckPoint uses for 'porting' to other platforms.

Nate

- Not officially associated with the group @ Nokia that builds the
  boxes, although I have met a few of them as they are in the same
  building as my group at Nokia. :)