Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 2009 08:33:42 -0800
From:      Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unhappy Xorg upgrade

On January 28, 2009 10:10 pm Larry Baird wrote:
> Initially thought this upgrade was a mistake, until I found out about
> "hald_enable" and "dbus_enable".  Upgrade would have be a lot easier if
> they were mentioned in /usr/ports/UPDATING.  I would have found these
> knobs more quickly if mentioned in HALD(8). or if they had default values
> in /etc/rc/defaults/rc.conf.  Did get a laugh out of HALD(8) telling me

/etc/defaults/rc.conf only lists values for things that are started via
/etc/rc.d/*, as that is all that ships with FreeBSD.

Values that can be added to rc.conf to enable daemons installed via ports
obviously can't be listed there, as the ports tree is constantly changing.
Ports daemons are started via scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/, so you should
always check there for new scripts installed via ports, to see if there's
anything you need to add to rc.conf.

This is covered, I believe, in the rc(8) and/or the ports(7) man page, and
the ports section of the Handbook.
--
Freddie
fjwcash@gmail.com