Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 1996 19:25:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Newell <mnewell@newell.arlington.va.us>
To:        Chris Shenton <cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov>
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.5R Vat with SB16?

On Wed, 31 Jul 1996, Chris Shenton wrote:

> Unfortunately, that's also where my Ethernet card is (ed1), and
> neither have jumpers :-( Any ideas, anyone? I do have "conflicts" in
> the kernel config -- see below.

You have a WD Ethernet card don't you?  You can get the WD configuration
utility from "ftp.smc.com"; that allows you to change the settings.
> [...]
> # sbxvi: SoundBlaster 16
> #
> # Beware!  The addresses specified below are also hard-coded in
> # i386/isa/sound/sound_config.h.  If you change the values here, you
> # must also change the values in the include file.
> #
> # If you don't have a lpt0 device at IRQ 7, you can remove the
> # ``conflicts'' specification in the appropriate device entries below.
> #
> # The i386/isa/sound/sound.doc has more information.
> #
> # LINT says:
> #device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 7 conflicts drq 1 vector sbintr
> #device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 5
> #device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330
> #device uart0 at isa? port 0x330 irq 5 vector "m6850intr"
>
> #Probing problems:  Since the SB16 uses the same IRQ and addresses for
> #the different drivers, some of the snd dirvers will not be probed because
> #the kernel thinks there is a conflict.  This can be worked-around by
> #setting the ALLOW_CONFLICT_IOADDR or ALLOW_CONFLICT_IRQ options.
>
> # SB16 document defaults:       i/o     irq     dmaLow  dmaHigh
> # - audio                       220h    5       1       5
> # - mpu-401 UART                330h
>
> # IRQ 5 conflicts with ed1, which I am using!
>

> controller      snd0    # Controls all sound devices
>
> device sb0      at isa? port 0x220      irq 5 conflicts drq 1   vector sbintr
> device sbxvi0   at isa?                                 drq 5
> device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330
> device opl0     at isa? port 0x388
>

> --
>
> *** sound_config.h      1996/07/31 17:15:14     1.1
> --- sound_config.h      1996/07/31 17:22:25
> ***************
> *** 83,89 ****
>   #endif
>
>   #ifndef SBC_IRQ
> ! #define SBC_IRQ               7       /* IQR7 is the factory default.  */
>   #endif
>
>   #ifndef SBC_DMA
> --- 83,89 ----
>   #endif
>
>   #ifndef SBC_IRQ
> ! #define SBC_IRQ               5       /* [sb16: irq5] IQR7 is the factory default */
>   #endif
>
>   #ifndef SBC_DMA
> ***************
> *** 91,101 ****
>   #endif
>
>   #ifndef SB16_DMA
> ! #define SB16_DMA      6
>   #endif
>
>   #ifndef SB16MIDI_BASE
> ! #define SB16MIDI_BASE 0x300
>   #endif
>
>   #ifndef PAS_BASE
> --- 91,101 ----
>   #endif
>
>   #ifndef SB16_DMA
> ! #define SB16_DMA      5       /* for what? sb16 dmaHi=5, Lo=1 */
>   #endif
>
>   #ifndef SB16MIDI_BASE
> ! #define SB16MIDI_BASE 0x330   /* SB16 MPU-401 midi uart */

Much obliged,

Mike

| Mike Newell                          | The opinions expressed herein      |
| Affiliation:                         | are mine.  You can take them or    |
| Address:                             | leave them.  Flames to /dev/null.  |
| Mike@Newell.arlington.va.us          | http://www.newell.arlington.va.us  |
| "Peace.  It's wonderful!"  Father Divine.                                 |