Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 1998 13:46:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      woods@zeus.leitch.com (Greg Woods)
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl
Subject:   questions about validity of FAQ entry 4.9 regarding SIGSEGV

I have a few comments regarding the FAQ entry:

	4.9. My programs occasionally die with ``Signal 11'' errors.

and the subsequent document refered to from this entry:

	http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/

This entry (and the document it refers to) suggests that SIGSEGV core
dumps are most likely caused by memory (DRAM or cache) or other data
errors (motherboard, cpu, etc.)

Either this is a sad comment on the state of PC hardware or it is
misleading at best.

I admit that I'm somewhat biased against PC hardware because of it's
shoddy design and bad reputation, but still....

99.99% of the SIGSEGV failures I've *ever* encountered have been due to
programmer error (i.e. they were true access violations due to wild
pointers and such).  Of course the percentage of time I've used PCs,
esp. ones without true parity or even ECC memory vs. other kinds of
hardware that does have ECC memory is rather low.  I'd be very dismayed
to hear that this experience does not hold true for PC users too.

I'm very dismayed not to find any reference to parity or ECC in the FAQ
entry and indeed no mention of ECC in the second document.  My ancient
Sun-3 computers were using ECC memory back in the mid 1980's even before
memory was fast and dense enough to even worry about anything but
alpha-particle radiation being much of a problem.

I don't know what to suggest, other than to mention programmer error as
a likely cause and to strongly recommend using true-parity & ECC memory
(and a trusted high-integrity motherboard) on anything but a games
playing machine.

BTW the comp.sys.pc.hardware FAQ (part 1, 2.20-2.22) has a decent
discussion of the merits of true-parity and ECC memory.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods@acm.org>      <robohack!woods>