Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 10:17:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike <mike@seidata.com>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hacked and don't know why

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Drew Derbyshire wrote:

> I believe the trouble has been located.  I'm running a pre-2.5 version
> of qpopper, which just had a CERT advisory put up on it for a buffer

'Just'?  The Qpopper problems have been touted on almost every list I'm on
for what seems like an eternity.  This is the second-third time within the
past week that I've heard people place blame for lack of security upon
FreeBSD when it should have been placed elsewhere.  Like stated, you're
bound to get hit by the train if you keep your head stuck in a hole.

Not that I don't have sympathy for individuals in cases like this, and not
that I think it couldn't happen to anyone (it could!), but I just find it
ironic that everytime I see blame placed so quickly, it is usually placed
in the wrong place.

	-mike