Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 14:24:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Brian W. Buchanan" <brian@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ppp -alias not working

I'm attempting to get ppp -alias working so that I can have my
ppp-connected box IP masquerade for the box on my local network.  I've
verified the following:

- ppp has aliasing enabled
- 10.0.0.1 (the PPP-connected box) and 10.0.0.2 (the other box on the
  local network) have no connectivity problems
- 10.0.0.2 has 10.0.0.1 configured as its default gateway
- 10.0.0.2 attempts to route Internet-destined traffic via 10.0.0.1
- The machines' Ethernet interfaces are configured with the same subnet
  mask (255.255.255.0)
- The only IPFW rule on either machine is "allow ip from any to any"

The PPP-connected box, however, does not pass any traffic out over the PPP
link.  I also tried enabling logging of aliased connections, but nothing
shows up in the log in response to connection attempts from 10.0.0.2.
It looks like ppp simply isn't listening for packets coming from the local
network off ed1, or is ignoring them.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks,
  Brian