Date:      Mon, 15 May 2000 13:09:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Adam <bsdx@looksharp.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trouble compiling -stable

On Mon, 15 May 2000, Adam wrote:

> Hello, I am helping someone out by attempting to get their server upgraded
> from a 3.4stable of unknown age to 4.0-stable ultimately.  I have been
> unable to compile world with 4.0 or 3.4-stable sources and it is always
> related to a kerberos .h error I believe.  Even make includes has this
> error, even with a pre-emptied /usr/include dir.  If I make -k includes
> it has many more errors.  I didnt turn up any hits
> on this mailing list's archives so this is why I decided to
> email.  Only CFLAGS -O -pipe are specified presently in make.conf.  The
> supfile I used only cvsupped src-all. I have nuked usr/src and usr/obj
> many times.  Please toss me an idea :)  Thanks.

Sounds like you have WANT_KERBEROS4 defined in /etc/make.conf, but dont
have up-to-date kerberos sources (they live in their own cvsup
collection).

I'm concerned that you've been running 'make includes', though - if you're
upgrading from 3.4 this will probably be a show-stopper. You *must* follow
the instructions in /usr/src/UPDATING to the letter or it won't work and
might leave you with a nonfunctional system. Note also that direct updated
to 4.0-STABLE from 3.X aren't supported (they may or may not work) - only
to 4.0-RELEASE.

Kris

----