Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 1998 07:54:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Chris Timmons <skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu>
To:        Jesper Skriver <jesper@skriver.dk>
Cc:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>, John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: need for another cvsup site?

When I saw John-Mark's message I wondered about the compliance of such a
technique with the applicable RFC's.  About the only thing I could find
was a snippet from the old BIND faq, included in the v8 distribution as
doc/misc/FAQ.2of2.  This statement is attributed to Vixie in the context
of some sort of hack using multiple CNAMES.

  570         Note that having multiple CNAME RR's at a given name is
  571         meaningless according to the DNS RFCs but BIND doesn't mind
(in
  572         fact it doesn't even complain).  If you call
  573         gethostbyname("hydra.ugly.vix.com") (try it!) you will get

I get the feeling that it is one of those things which is not required by
a name server implementation; BIND at some point apparantly provided the
functionality and as of v8 may no longer do so.

-Chris