Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 2002 02:00:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Perry Hutchison <perryh@pluto.rain.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't do a clean reinstall?

On Sun, 10 Mar 2002, Perry Hutchison wrote:

> > If you installed XFree86 from the CD you  have version 3.3.6. I strongly
> > recommend uninstalling that and installing version 4 ...
>
> In order to clean up both this and the "faith0" mess, I attempted to do
> a clean reinstall (by which I intend that the install should "newfs"
> all filesystems).  I thought the disklabel screen indicated that it was
> going to do that, but after I said Yes to the "are you sure" screen it
> popped up something about using an existing root partition.  There was
> no apparent way at that point to say "NO!  WRONG!  NEWFS EVERYTHING!".
> I hit ESC instead of cr or space, but it still went ahead; and after it
> had finished:
>
> * It remembered its formerly-set hostname (which is OK, but provides
>   a further indication that it did *not* do a clean install).
>
> * It tried to config XFree again *even though I had been very careful
>   NOT to select it this time*.
>
> What does it take to remove all traces of the first installation and
> start completely over?  Do I have to replace the drive, or use some
> third-party utility to wipe it?

Just boot from the installation CD or floppies for the system you
want to install, delete the existing slice or slices, and create a
new one (in FDISK editor).  Just be sure you don't delete the
slices (DOS-style partitions) for any other operating systems you
may have installed.

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC