Date:      Sun, 30 Jan 2000 07:47:44 -0800
From:      "Jay Krell" <jay.krell@cornell.edu>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: "too many files open"?

I tried reinstally BSD 3.4 clean to a 34gig drive, with BSD taking the
entire drive (but keeping a partition table so I get the BootMgr so I might
boot other drives). The kernel paniced while running sysinstall. I believe I
reproed this twice. So I moved the contents of the 2gig fat to this 34gig
drive (using DOS) and reinstalled BSD to the ~27gig drive, this time with no
leading 2gig fat, and the partitioning like so:
    100meg /
    100meg swap
    100meg /var
    ~27 meg /usr
same as the defaults, but bumping up the sizes on the first three (from like
50, 37, 20).

boot into BSD, don't rebuild world, kernel, ports, or anything, just mount
the other drive, untar "dist.tar" (~gig of /usr/ports/distfiles) cd
/usr/ports/dev*/codec* ; make clean

after a while it printed
   /usr/ports/dev*/codec*/work/JX*/ACE/ACE_wrappers/ace/OS.i:
    cc1plus in free: warning: recursive call
    cc1plus in malloc: warning: recursive call
then
panic: vm_object_deallocate: object deallocated too many times: 0

reboot
cd /usr/ports/dev*/codec*
make clean
make

Still very slow, but it hasn't crashed and it has gotten further. It had
been on JXApplication.cc for many minutes though, so I control-c, make, it's
again sitting on that file. I started building Gwydion Dylan on other
console to see if the additional "stress" will repro the panic..

No one has seen anything like this?

 - Jay